Thursday 23 February 2012

Crow colour palettes

Hello chaps! Just done a few colour schemes for our little friend and thought I'd put them up so you can have a look and tell me what you think :]


Was working mainly with the thought of blue/purple colour scheme, something quite  subdued in contrast to the relatively colourful scarecrow. I originally started by making the beak darker than the body, but it makes the mouth quite difficult to see. Overall I just think that it's too dark.

Personally I'm not keen on the orange beak — looks more like a duck! Jazzy then suggested making the beak lighter than the body which I think actually works really nicely. You can see her mouth and it keeps her looking a little more cheerful I think.

The last 3 (not counting disco crow) are probably my favourites so far. I was poking around on Google and a saw a few drawings where the crow's beak was more blue-ish in hue, so I tried it out and came up with 9 and 10 — 11, again, was inspired from another drawing where the crow was a brighter sort of purple with a brown beak and it looked really nice. So I stole BORROWED the idea. ;D

Personally, I think my favourites so far are 4, 8 and 10. What do you guys think? Any suggestions? :]

Edit: Agh! These look so much diffierent on my laptop screen. They're way brighter than I thought they would be - they looked super dark on the monitor in G01. Gotta try and fix that to keep them consistent across all monitors!

4 comments:

  1. Hey Al just like to say great work! Really love all of your design ideas for the crow, especially Disco crow! XD I really love ideas 4, 9 and 10 especially 4 as it seems to be the only one with a coloured beak and feet and to me that looks unique and great! However, seen as crows tend to be all one colour (or near enough) idea 4 may be scraped but hey that's my opinion! Also, the spikes on the top of the head I think may need to be more elegant (so more slanted and slightly bigger) just to impersonate the idea of the crow being more female like. This could be a good test! Overall, love what you're doing with the crow! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Sam! Haha, I'm really glad you like them, I don't think we need to worry about having a crow that's slightly differently coloured. Where's the fun in sticking too close to reality, eh? :]

      Thanks so much for the feedback - I see what you mean about the head, I'll definitely play around with the length of the spikes. Do you think making them a little more wavy would work? More like the design Jae showed us?

      Thanks again for the feedback! :D

      Delete
    2. Haha! Good point bud, maybe we should go for a funky looking cartoon like Disco Crow xD

      Hmmm yeah, perhaps look at the way Jae did her design and interpretate this into your own. I think with this the crow should look great! :)

      And no problems buddy, anytime!

      Delete
  2. Do I need to say again that 10 is my favourite? I think I do ^^

    ReplyDelete