Thursday 15 March 2012

Puppet pose planning and reference

Starting to develop more puppets and thinking about how best to articulate each one. It's much trickier than you'd think; despite the crow's relatively simple design there are a lot of body parts to consider. I've been trying to think economically in terms of re-using as many pieces as possible whilst still maintaining lively and expressive poses and overall quality of animation.


I started with a fairly simple pose from a scene that doesn't require a great deal of movement in the crow — right at the end, when she's perched on the scarecrow, holding the bug in her beak. If done correctly, this pose could potentially be re-used for the scene where she actually lunges forward and grabs the bug from his hat as well. 

It looks totally awful at the moment — it's those blinking wings. I have a basic understanding of their overall structure and mechanics, but trying to rotate them and picture the folding from such a weird angle is incredibly difficult. The one at the top would probably work but I just really wasn't happy with it. The angle isn't quite right, really — the scene in question is more of an over-the-shoulder shot, whereas that one's a little more side-on. It could be used for the bug-grabbing scene, however! 

On the top left is the sketch from the 'above' puppet I posted previously. Nothing to say there.


It was pretty hopeless trying to completely imagine how the wings might fold so I compiled a bunch of beautiful reference images pilfered from Flickr! I opted to grab pictures of regular birds as well as crows — partially because there weren't many images of crows from the angle I wanted. The one on the far-right of the middle row is probably the most useful for my purposes, so it's the one I focused on most.


From the references I was able to scribble something that made a bit more sense — it took me a few tries and it's still far from perfect. I was using a poor-quality printout, however, and it was pretty difficult to see too much detail to reference. I started having real trouble with the head at this point — I tried hiding more of the beak behind the head to better suggest the angle but it just looked a bit peculiar. I think I finally sort-of got it though?

I'm not going to worry too much about the detail of the sketch at this point. It's really just to provide a base to work from — it will be much easier to correct all the horrible mistakes digitally.

I also started thinking a bit more about the wings and flight cycle at this point and how we might go about animating that with nothing but puppets as painlessly as possible.


As before, I started digitally sketching the base of the puppet in Photoshop. The reference on-screen was much clearer and easier to see so it was much easier to get the angle of the wings correct.


I also replaced the original head with one of the others that I had drawn, which fit the angle of the body much better. 


Once the sketch was complete I started going over it again with the pen tool, creating blocky shapes on each layer for each relevant body part. In retrospect it probably wasn't necessary as the crow isn't going to really move at all, but I figure it's always a good move to have articulated puppets ready just in case.

I had a bit of an issue with the outlines - the normal method of simply "stroking" each section wasn't really going to work in this instance - the way I'd divided up the limbs looked a bit weird when stroked like that. The shapes were a bit clunky and awkward. I would have had to alter a lot of the outlines by hand to make it work, so I opted to just draw them myself. It allowed me to keep a lot of the original detail - I think (hope?!) it looks a bit better this way:


Thinking a little further about the more complex sections of the animation, I started trying to figure out how we might look at doing the crow's run for the hang glider chase scene. In theory, it shouldn't be causing too much problem, as it's mostly actually already animated within the animatic. The difficulty, for me, is knowing how far to take it and how to make it fit within the puppet design. 


The animatic version is a simple two-frame cycle of the crow's legs simply going up and down. There's a bit of keyframing to move her up and down and side to side as she runs. Something like this could probably work reasonably well within the final animation, however I wasn't sure whether or not I should look to making the cycle a little more polished and actually animate the legs properly. One thing I'd considered doing was to have maybe three frames for the feet - one flat on the ground, the other being lifted up, and the other outstretched in front. I thought we could maybe take a simple leg shape and rotate it in 3D space along the Z axis to appear as if it was rotating upwards, lying flat towards the camera, to give the impression that she was lifting her leg. As the leg rotated the "lifted" foot could be used, switching to the "outstretched" foot when her leg is fully extended.

I'd really need to put an example together - it's a bit tricky to explain...!


I've started loosely sketching out a potential puppet, trying to figure out how to not make it look utterly ridiculous. Front angles are tricky at any rate, let alone for bloody birds... No matter what I do her face always looks stupid


I was referring heavily to the crow Jazzy drew for the animatic - it's pretty perfect, I've just got to try and adapt it into the style of the crow puppet.


I really don't know about the beak or anything about the face. I think the top of the beak... the bridge-y nostril bit possibly needs to be wider? The expression looks off. She doesn't look particularly scared. It just doesn't have the charm or humour or simplicity of the original, I just don't know how to make it work. I'm not sure if my leg idea will work either - still, best to try eh?


The last thing I started looking at were wings! Specifically, their application to the scene where the crow leaps into the air and runs from the hang glider. The animatic shows her leaping in shock, looking behind her before turning and bolting. This sounds like it would require a great deal of additional puppets, but I've been thinking about it a bit and I reckon it might be possible to get away with just one, using a couple of additional heads and wings for the jump. The body and legs could be recycled from the side-on run (which is going to be very similar to the walking puppet). We could probably just lift her legs and feet (as shown in the terrible doodles at the top there) and attach a new head and set of wings.

We could potentially animate her wings very similarly to how I did the flying crows - we could use one or two basic wing shapes and simply keyframe them up and down at high speed, then apply a heavy motion blur so all you get is a blurred shape flailing about. Maybe we could even kick her legs and shake her tail a bit!

The question of how to fold her wings back up for when she starts running is a bit trickier. We could probably get away with just adding a blurred mid-pose as she draws them back to her body - the whole movement will be very quick so I think we can get away with being pretty loose with it.

I'll have to do some tests to see whether it will work or not. Hopefully it will!

No comments:

Post a Comment